Reasons why a Christian cannot marry an unbeliever
Can’t we just marry anyone we love?
These are reasons why a Christian cannot marry an unbeliever:
1) It will affect your relationship with God and your faith
2) Because of your children
3) Unequal yoking. Light and darkness do not have anything in common.
4) Incompatibility. You live by the word, they don’t.
5) They cannot be a source of strength for you. When there are spiritual battles, you will have no support.
1) God appeared to Solomon twice, and yet Solomon who once loved the Lord, and enjoyed God’s blessings, backslider. Why? He married unbelieving women. 1 Kings 11:1-13 says,
“Now King Solomon loved many foreign women. Besides Pharaoh’s daughter, he married women from Moab, Ammon, Edom, Sidon, and from among the Hittites. The Lord had clearly instructed the people of Israel, “You must not marry them, because they will turn your hearts to their gods.” Yet Solomon insisted on loving them anyway. He had 700 wives of royal birth and 300 concubines. And in fact, they did turn his heart away from the Lord . In Solomon’s old age, they turned his heart to worship other gods instead of being completely faithful to the Lord his God, as his father, David, had been. Solomon worshiped Ashtoreth, the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molech, the detestable god of the Ammonites. In this way, Solomon did what was evil in the Lord ’s sight; he refused to follow the Lord completely, as his father, David, had done. On the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, he even built a pagan shrine for Chemosh, the detestable god of Moab, and another for Molech, the detestable god of the Ammonites. Solomon built such shrines for all his foreign wives to use for burning incense and sacrificing to their gods. The Lord was very angry with Solomon, for his heart had turned away from the Lord , the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. He had warned Solomon specifically about worshiping other gods, but Solomon did not listen to the Lord ’s command. So now the Lord said to him, “Since you have not kept my covenant and have disobeyed my decrees, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your servants. But for the sake of your father, David, I will not do this while you are still alive. I will take the kingdom away from your son. And even so, I will not take away the entire kingdom; I will let him be king of one tribe, for the sake of my servant David and for the sake of Jerusalem, my chosen city.”
In Malachi 2:11, the Bible says that the men of Judah defiled the temple by marrying women who worship idols. “Judah has been unfaithful, and a detestable thing has been done in Israel and in Jerusalem. The men of Judah have defiled the Lord’s beloved sanctuary by marrying women who worship idols.”
2) 1 Corinthians 7:14 says, “For the believing wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the believing husband brings holiness to his marriage. Otherwise, your children would not be holy, but now they are holy.”
When you marry an unbeliever your children are unholy. God cares about the children we give birth to. Malachi 2:15 says that He wants Godly children. “Didn’t the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth.”
3) As a Christian, you are holy (meaning that you are separated unto God). God lives in you. You can’t take the temple of God and join it with that of an unbeliever in whom Satan dwells.
2 Corinthians 6:14-18 says, “Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil ? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said: “I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people. Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the Lord . Don’t touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you. And I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.”
4) As a Christian, you live by the word of God; unbelievers don’t. Makes you incompatible with them. When you have a dispute will you go by the scriptures or something else? Will you invite a pastor or a juju priest?
5) Jesus said, “I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” Matthew 18:19-20
If you marry an unbeliever you will struggle alone and fight your battles alone. Meaning that you can easily be defeated. You will also deprive yourself of divine support.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says,
“Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.”
For these reasons, a Christian cannot and should not marry an unbeliever.
Pastor Chinaemerem Ibezim